Thursday, November 4, 2010

ROCK n ROLL FRIDAYS meme: Billy Joel

Hi I'm DJ KathyA! Welcome to Rock 'n Roll Fridays. We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their lyrics. Each of our questions will be based on the lyrics. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!


Today we picked Billy Joel.





1. PIANO MAN“Sing us a song, you're the piano man, Sing us a song tonight. Well, we're all in the mood for a melody, And you've got us feelin' alright”
What is your favorite Karaoke song to sing with?
I am painfully shy about singing or acting in front of others, so I will have to say none.

2. CAPTAIN JACK”Saturday night and you're still hangin' around, Tired of livin' in your one-horse town. Like to find a little hole in the ground, For a while”
If you grew up in a one-horse town, are you still there, or did you try living somewhere else?
I could not wait to leave home. I hated my small town. I joined the ARMY while still a senior in High School (delayed entry), so I knew I had a place to go far away from Groton, CT that following September.

3. NEW YORK STATE OF MIND…”It comes down to reality-and it's fine with me 'cause I've let it slide, Don't care if it's Chinatown or Riverside, I don't have any reasons, I've left them all behind- I'm in a New York state of mind.”
What is your favorite New York food?
Gawd, does pizza count? How bout a hawt dawg then?

4. SHE’S ALWAYS A WOMAN TO ME”But she'll bring out the best And the worst you can be, Blame it all on yourself, Cause she's always a woman to me”
Has someone else ever brought out the best or worse in you?
Yes, I had a mother and a close friend who were paranoid and always negative. That brought out the worst in me. It has taken years to override this.

5. MOVIN OUT…”Workin' too hard can give you a heart attack ack ack ack ack ack, You oughta know by now. Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that what you get for your money?”
What is the most annoying line from a song lyric of all time?
"Workin too hard can give you a heart attack ack ack ack ack ack". I cannot stand this line, along with most of Billy Joels music.

6. ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG”They say there's a heaven for those who will wait Some say it's better but I say it ain't. I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints …Sinners are much more fun...”
What would heaven be like for you? A shopping mall? A forest? Mansion? Do tell…
I don't believe in heaven, but Pagans have a belief in a holding ground between lives called the Summerland. A beautiful nature laden place of serenity to rest and reflect on the life just passed and lessons learned.

7. JUST THE WAY YOU ARE…”Don't go trying some new fashion, Don't change the color of your hair. You always have my unspoken passion, Although I might not seem to care…”
Have you ever changed something about yourself to please somebody else?
Yep. I became a redhead once for a guy. He then told me it was too light a shade and still too short, so I bought a wig. Was I an idiot or what?! He is very ancient history thank goodness.

8. STILL ROCK N ROLL TO ME…”Should I try to be a straight `A' student? If you are then you think too much. Don't you know about the new fashion honey? All you need are looks and a whole lotta money. It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways , it's still rock and roll to me…”
What besides “looks and a whole lotta money” would you require in a mate?
Sense of humor, intelligence, love of music, worldliness and balls have to be added into the mix or he's just a generic male.

 9. YOU MAY BE RIGHT…”You may be right, I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for…”
Do you like bad boys (girls) or good boys (girls)?
Good guys finish last. That being said, I generally have been attracted to bad boys, playboys and wolves...only to be dissappointed. Not sure where Bud falls into, but he has enough of both sides to keep my interest.

10. WE DIDN’T START THE FIRE“Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide, Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz, Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law, Rock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore”
List 13 things for a Billy Joel verse in this aggravating song…
Depeche, Devo, Cure are fine, Autumn leaves and Sunday drives, reading other blogger's lives, watching tv, drinking wine, Bud and romance now are mine, getting well from being sick. Gonna start a new job quick, future looking really bright, past 4 weeks have been a fright.

11. TELL HER ABOUT IT…”Tell her about it. Tell her all your crazy dreams. Let her know you need her, Let her know how much she means…”
Have you told your significant other or dearest family member recently how much they mean to you?
Not as much as I should, but I did go all out on his birthday, even though I could hardly move ...I had pneumonia!

12. UPTOWN GIRL… “I’m in love with an uptown girl, She's been living in her white bread world. As long as anyone with hot blood can, And now she's looking for a downtown man. That's what I am…”
Have you dated someone above or below your “level”? (richer or poorer). Did you feel comfortable with them?
Yes, both. I dated a man who was living in a shelter. He was nice, but a career homelss person and I could not relate to him on enough of life's subjects to stay with him. I also have dated wealthy men, a rock star, a movie star, a producer, a lawyer and a doctor, and did not feel comfortable at all. I thought they were doing a "charity" date being with me.

13. THE LONGEST TIME… “Who knows how much further we'll go on. Maybe I'll be sorry when you're gone. I'll take my chances, I forgot how nice romance is, I haven't been there for the longest time”
What is the longest you have gone without a love relationship?
Maybe a few years. What do you mean by love? I've not gone more than a couple weeks without dating...but it's been years between lovers.

6 comments:

  1. Full props to actually doing Joel. It must have been difficult...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the 13 things... I found that to be the most challenging part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy's ok...I'm not a huge fan though. Just the one song for sure "Only the Good Die Young", and there are a few others that I tolerate. I guess I just like real rockers better, and not the pop soft stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chickened out on the 13 things but you did a great job on that and the meme itself, Kathy! Glad you're recovering from the pneumonia. Did the doctor call it 'walking pneumonia'? The boogie woogie blues follows that...ugh. sorry. bad joke. Hope you and Bud enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should meet for some pizza and dawgs in NYC (well...and shopping of course).

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister, your mom and friend could all just board a boat and drive each other nuts then, huh? LOL... I couldn't LIST my sister, however, because she reads my blog!

    ReplyDelete