Today we picked The Art Rock Bands.
What is Art Rock? Also known as experimental rock, progressive rock, avant garde and psychedelic rock, Art Rock is a piece of music that appeals more intellectually or musically and is not formulated along pop lines for mass consumption.
1. YES … AND YOU AND I : “Coins and crosses never know their fruitless worth..”
What inanimate object do you cherish?
Presently, my new remote car starter. Like the GPS, I have no idea how I managed without it in Winter.
2. MOODY BLUES … MELANCHOLY MAN : “Another man is what you'll see, Who looks like you and looks like me, And yet somehow he will not feel the same, His life caught up in misery, he doesn't think like you and me…”
When have you felt like an outcast?
In a room with people discussing sports.
3. EMERSON LAKE & PALMER … THE ENDLESS ENIGMA : “I've seen paupers as kings, Puppets on strings, Dance for the children who star. You must have seen them everywhere”
How did you entertain a young child recently?
I got Bud's 2 grandaughters a cat robot and puppy robot. They walk and meow/bark and wag their tails, but are noisy little things. I'm sure both toys will wind up on eBay when Mommy starts to lose it, but it was fun watching the kids enjoy hugging and playing with them.
4. KING CRIMSON … THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING : “The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king…”
Who is your favorite instrumental group or player?
I'm digging the retro sounds of Jackie Gleason's orchestra, Ray Anthony, and 101 Strings... the kind of stuff my parents swooned to. I am compiling music and photos for a slide show for my father's service when it comes.
5. PINK FLOYD … US AND THEM : “I've got things on my mind, for want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died…”
Do you give money to beggars?
Yes. I also give a buck to whatever charity is begging at the grocery entrance, and I buy GS cookies, even tho they are wicked over-priced.
6. DAVID BOWIE … SPACE ODDITY : “Ground control to Major Tom, Your circuits dead, there's something wrong, Can you hear me, Major Tom?”
Who were you speaking with the last time you had a dropped the call?
My brother. We were discussing my father's nursing home issues while I was driving and I went into a dead zone on the highway.
7. ROXY MUSIC … OH YEAH : “Day and night drifting into love, Driving you home from a movie show, So in tune to the sounds in my car…”
Do you have a special romantic song you love to listen to in the car?
"Always and Forever" either Luther's or Heatwave's version. Both are great.
8. VELVET UNDERGROUND … FEMME FATALE : “See the way she walks, Hear the way she talks, You're put down in her book, You're number 37, have a look…”
Have you dated a lot of people? (More than 10)
Umm...almost as many as Bud Weiser. Do I win something?
9. THE NICE … COUNTRY PIE : “Listen to the fiddler play, When he's playin' 'til the break of day, Oh me, oh my, Love that country pie.”
What is your favorite kind of pie?
Chocolate Cream or Coconut Custard
10. FRANK ZAPPA … DON’T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW : “And the northern lights commenced to glow, And she said, with a tear in her eye, Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow…”
Have you ever eaten snow?
Yep, but not yellow. ;-)
11. GENESIS …THROWING IT ALL AWAY : “When there's nothing that I can say -we're throwing it all away…”
What was the last thing you threw away?
The K-Cup container after I brewed my coffee and some empty Splenda packets.
12. KATE BUSH …THE DREAMING : “Many an aborigine’s mistaken for a tree, see the light ram through the gaps in the land. You near him on the motorway and the tree began to breathe…”
Have you ever accidentally killed or injured an animal with your car?
I have killed 2 poor creatures. An opossum (sp?) that ran into my wheel (ick) late one night and quickly died... and a cute little black kitten. The kitten zoomed into the street in the middle of the day. I shudder thinking about it. The tire hit the kitten's spine and back legs...and as I looked horrified in my rearview mirror, it was writhing in pain, flopping around in the street. The loud, anguished meowing still haunts me to this day... and it happened over 20 years ago.
13. JETHRO TULL … LOCOMOTIVE BREATH : “In the shuffling madness Of the locomotive breath, Runs the all time loser, Headlong to his death…”
Have you ever been in a dangerous situation where you could have been hurt or killed?
I hitch-hiked alone in Ireland on a rainy day. I had 4 major surgeries. I had 2 car accidents. I was in the Army. I dated a lot of potential serial killers. I guess I have put myself in risky situations over the years. Glad I am still here to tell the stories. : )